Position Title: Public Relations/ Association Communication and media officer
Reports to: SLNMA Executive Director
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland with frequent travels to the regions
The Somaliland Nursing and Midwifery Association was established in November 2004. The mandate of the Association is to act as both the professional organization and a representative for the nurses and midwives within Somaliland by protecting, developing, and building their capacity in order for them to deliver quality healthcare services. SLNMA is a national nonprofit professional Association for Nurses and Midwives in Somaliland
SLNMA is currently recruiting for the position of Public Relations Officer based in the SLNMA main office in Hargeisa. Those who meet the qualifications and experience requirements for this position are invited to apply
Public relations (PR) officer: job description
Public relations officers plan, develop, put into place and evaluate information and communication strategies that present an organization to the public, clients and other stakeholders. They also promote good information flow within their organization.
The main functions of the Public Relations officer are as follows:
- To represent the organization to the community;
- To enhance the organization’s public image and profile within our members and the public;
- To review and recommend public education strategies to serve the objectives of the association
- To act as resource person for our community and advise on public and media relations.
- To oversee short and long-term paid association memberships in collaboration with program manager and executive director
- To work with executive team, the board and other appropriate staff on public relations, media and communication strategies with members and prospective donors
- To work with staff to establish a fund-raising plan that incorporates a series of appropriate vehicles, such as special events, direct mail, fundraising campaigns, etc.;
- To work with fund-raising staff in their efforts to raise money specifically for the national nursing and midwifery resource center;
- To identify and solicit funds from external sources of support;
- To take the lead in certain types of outreach efforts, such as chairing a dinner or hosting fund-raising parties, etc.;
- To be responsible for involvement of all Board members in fund-raising, such as having Board members and other honorary members themselves make some monetary contributions, and
- To monitor fund-raising efforts to be sure that ethical practices are in place, that donors are acknowledged appropriately, and that fundraising efforts are cost-effective.
- designing, writing and/or producing presentations, press releases, articles, leaflets, ‘in-house’ SLNMA newsletter, reports, publicity brochures, information for web sites and promotional videos.
- Degree in nursing or midwifery or other related field
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in media and public relations
Key skills for the public relations officer:
- Excellent communication skills both English and Somali (orally and in writing)
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good IT skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to prioritize and plan effectively
- Awareness of different media agendas
Interested Candidates can send their CVs and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
Bring your application to SLNMA office at Red sea area, Hargeisa, Somaliland, for directions to SLNMA office call Admin at: 063-4310515
Closing date (Deadline) is June 15, 2014